Sunday, September 25, 2011
I made it!
Well I am here!!! I made it into Saudi Wednesday night here and there has been SOOOO much going on here it is hard to sum it up without writing a full length novel.Today, Sunday, was my first day of school which was super exciting! I am teaching grade 2 boys and they are so super sweet. I have met some wonderful people while being here, 3 of them were my life savers when I arrived. They adopted me and took care of me as I went through my culture shock. Life here is very different from the states but truly, living on the compound is a saving grace. The people here are great and most things you need you can find fairly easily. The weather is like GA summer every single day. However, their is a great breeze from the red sea that makes it more manageable. One thing I have learend quickly is that there is not a lot of logic in the development of roads/communities. For example, I was going to go for a run around the park in the compound. I assumed it was maybe 2 miles in a circular shape. I was mistaken as I kept running and running and through, logically, if I kept following the road it would circle around. I was wrong. 4 miles later I was running through the woods through sewage hoping not to end up off the compound (which I almost did 2-3 times). I finally realized where I was and got home, hot, sweaty, and convinced I was never going to do that again. I figure from now on I can run one way and then turn around and run home. The roads are the same way outside the compound. It is like every little boys dream. No road rules, no lane markers, and no real speed limits. Its a heart attack when you first start driving through it. However, after driving through Liberia, this does not seem all that bad. I am just thankful I dont actually have to drive. We take the bus or Taxi's everywhere we go. Also, the shopping here is amazing! The malls here make the Mall of GA look like a strip mall. I cannot wait to actually go inside and see it.
Overall I am doing well, just tired for the most part. THank you all for your support and keep me in your thoughts this week.
PR:
-Patience as I adjust into the new school year and new grade level
-Endurance to get through these very long days that I am not use to you
-Peace in my heart and mind that I will know that I am not in control and everything is happening for a reason
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment