I have to admit, first of all, that having the ability to shock anyone and everyone over the past few days has been rather fun. After all, how many times in your life will you be able to say, "So, I am going to Saudi Arabia for the next two years." At the same time, I now think to myself, "Oh my word, I am going to Saudi Arabia for two years."
He put in my heart since I was young that I wanted to be a teacher whether it was to a bedroom full of stuffed animals or a classroom full of children. Then, when I was 12, my mother gave the chance of a life time to go to Europe. At that point, much to her dismay, I was hooked. I wanted to travel and see as much of the world as I could. I had fantastic opportunities to go to Peru and Liberia, and I still wanted more and spend more time overseas. Better yet, I wanted to chance to teach and travel, but the timing was not right. Then, literally out of nowhere, an opportunity came knocking on my inbox.
I had signed up with an organization called Educators Overseas a year ago. Then, almost out of no where, and they sent me an e-mail about this possible opportunity to teach in Saudi Arabia. I was intrigued due to the location and sought more information. After reading more about the job and about an American's adventure over there, found here, I knew that this was a fantastic opportunity to combine the two passions I have, travel and teaching. This all happened within a week and a half!
To sum of the job, it will be a two year teaching opportunity at a private international Canadian School in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia teaching elementary school. I will be coming home for the summer but, like the rest of the world, I wont be going by the Georgia school year of Aug to May. I will be leaving close to the end of August and will begin teaching in September and will come home near the end of June.
I will be living on a western compound separate from the school with individuals from all over the world. I will be living with other teachers in a fully furnished villa of sorts including Internet and satellite TV. The school provides the transportation from the compound to the school each day during their work week (AKA Saturday-Wednesday which will take some getting use to).
I feel as if there is so much to do and so much to learn in the next month and a half but I am excited as this adventure begins in my life. I pray I can shine light into dark places and grow closer to the one who has blessed me with this opportunity. I also want to thank those of you who have been so supportive to me. Having amazing family and friends is going to a cornerstone for me through this.
Lindi
No comments:
Post a Comment