It is amazing how ingrained Monday-Friday being the "work week" is in our brains. Somehow TFIW (Thank goodness it’s Wednesday) and hating Saturday (our Monday) does not compute in my westernized mind. Thankfully, it's not just me. Many times when we expats talk to each other, we will talk in terms of our western work week and have to correct ourselves. It all becomes really confusing and yet, make sense. Part of me wants to e-mail my friends at home and say "Haha its Wednesday and you have 2 more days to work and I am on my weekend!" HOWEVER, I know the retort on Saturday would be "HAHA you have 5 more days till your weekend." These are the goings on in my mind so I apologize if that makes no sense.
Wednesday was teacher appreciation and WOW. It takes the concept to a whole new level here. Teachers get gold plates, clothes, expensive perfume, expensive jewelry, flowers, and more chocolate than you could ever think to eat. I know I had at least 4 kids come around passing out krispy kreme doughnuts (Just an FYI, they had heath bar crunch doughnuts.)I think in our apartment building we will be hyped up on sugar till spring.
I have learned some rather interesting things being an American in Saudi. First of all, the media has truly misrepresented the culture over here. The hospitality and generosity of the families here is not to be believed. Also, I have learned what it means to be different. As I walk through malls or on the street, I felt so awkward when EVERYONE stares and points. Yet, if I saw a Saudi in my hometown, I would probably do the same things. There is a serious change of perspective that is occurring. What I have seen and researched now is what I see every day. It really is eye opening. I am going to go back to the States and wonder why all the women are not wearing abayas.
This upcoming week should be eventful. More shopping, more school, and so many unknowns. Yet I am thinking I will be getting my diving certification which is very exciting. I will also be going on a boat trip on the Red Sea in mid to late November. Still no concrete plans for Hajji and no concrete time for me to post photos but I am working on it. The one photo this week is in honor of my mother and grandmother. Grilled cheese with raspberry "preserves." Yes, this is a taste of home and much better than PB&J.
PR:
-A horrible flu is circulating through Jeddah and has been affecting students and teachers. I have not so far gotten it and am trying to stay healthy
-I have developed good relationships here and will fight to be a light
-I really have been missing home so strength to know that there is a bigger plan for why I am here
-To stay positive despite a lot of negativity going on
I am so enjoying these posts Lindi. Thank you for sharing!!
ReplyDeleteI love you! Miss you!
I miss grilled cheese and raspberry jelly!! Soon and very soon I hope to enjoy that delicacy! At the wedding we were at last night, you will never believe the song the mom’s came in to. It was the same song you posted for me on FB. I miss my daughter so much but am so very proud of who you are and what you are doing. Our weekend is almost over and you are halfway through your workweek!
ReplyDelete